SAMRA and the Qualitative Research Consultants Association’s International Chapter present:
CREATIVE TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES FOR RESEARCHERS
This hands-on, one-day workshop will give you new tools and techniques to use in your professional work as researcher, as well as greater confidence in facilitation.
Johannesburg: 21 October 2015 ● Cape Town: 23 October 2015
Sunnyside Park Hotel, Parktown ● Ruslamere Conference Centre, Durbanville
Four Reasons You Should Attend this Workshop
- You want to improve your skills as creative researcher or research manager
- You want to learn to use creative approaches that work in qualitative research settings
- You want some fresh takes on brainstorming to use in idea generation with your work group or project team
- You would rather learn it by doing it than by hearing about it
Drawing on tools from various disciplines, this workshop gives you a suite of tools to use in work situations commonly encountered by market researchers.
- Projective exercises that work well in qualitative settings to go deeper into emotional reactions and non-verbal thinking
- Story-telling methods to get a fresh take on individual experiences
- Segmentation and Personification techniques
- Ways to generate new ideas using variations on brainstorming methods
Hands-on practice in small groups will be mixed in with theory, explanations, and lots of practical Q&A. The focus will be customised to meet the needs of the group.
About the Facilitator
The workshop will be led by Susan Abbott, who will coach and help everyone to become confident with leading new methods. Susan Abbott is a consultant and facilitator with a passion for customer insights that power new ideas. Before founding Abbott Research + Consulting in 2001, Susan was a vice-president of TD Bank Group where she held diverse general management positions. She has an MBA from Ivey, holds the CMRP research designation, MBTI accreditation, and has advanced training in Creative Problem Solving. Susan is a frequent speaker at professional and business conferences on topics related to finding insight, creating innovation, and designing customer experiences. Considered a leader by her peers, Susan has twice been elected to the board of the Qualitative Research Consultants Association, and is chair of the 2016 Worldwide Conference on Qualitative Research. She co-founded Think Global Qualitative, a global alliance of master qualitative research consultants. Her recent professional focus is creative facilitation. Susan is author or co-author of two books, most recently Qual Online: The Complete Guide (Paramount Books 2014). In 2006, she authored The Innovative Organization, published by Schulich Executive Education as the core of their innovation program. Her latest project is theideastudio.ca, a marketplace for creative thinking tools.
Your QRCA International Chapter Host
Ilka Kuhagen is Co-chair of the QRCA International Chapter. She is an independent researcher and consultant, based in Munich, Germany. After several years in business consultancy Ilka Kuhagen founded IKM in 1994. IKM specialises in qualitative research within business-to-business and international research. Clients of IKM are usually international corporations that focus on the European market. Ilka was one of the early adopters of online tools for qualitative research and loves to combine methodologies to best address different target groups. Since 2014 Ilka is also an approved facilitator for creative workshops.
The QRCA International Chapter is co-hosting this event with SAMRA to meet qualitative researchers from Africa, and to introduce them to the QRCA, which also holds virtual meetings four times a year.
Join us for an intense but exciting day of learning!
Space is Limited!
The Workshop Fee
- SAMRA Members and QRCA Members: R 2500 ex VAT
- Non-members: R 3500 ex VAT
- Includes refreshments and lunch, and excludes travel, accommodation, etc.