The total amount of market research turnover should include both primary and secondary market research. For the purpose of this survey, we define:
- Primary market research is research that is ‘new’ or ‘original’ that collects data from source in order to answer a question or gain more understanding of a specific issue.
- In contrast, secondary research involves the compilation and analysis of previously collected or published information, which can then be used to answer a question or gain more understanding of a specific issue.
The total should also cover all work that is commissioned to be undertaken by your organisation in South Africa either by clients inside South Africa or clients based in other countries. This includes international projects managed by your organisation in South Africa as shown at question 2a.
Please note that this estimate should also include:
- All Retail Audit measures (e.g. Nielsen, IMS Health, IRI, etc.)
- All Media or Audience measurement services (e.g. Ibope, Nielsen, AGB) (TV viewing, radio listening, newspaper reading, online audience, etc.)
- All consumer or household Panel measures (e.g KantarWorldPanel, IRI, etc.)
- Advisory Services, which would include companies such as Gartner, Forrester, Mintel, Ovum, IHS, Euromonitor, etcetera, that provide customized or syndicated research services via a subscription / advisory model.
- as well as what you would traditionally have considered as Market Research.
The figures should exclude:
- Any work conducted by non-commercial institutes such as government departments, universities, other non-profit-making bodies, where the research function does not have an identifiable business/profit centre;
- Any work conducted by non-research companies such as advertising agencies, management consultancies and marketing consultancies.